Old November 30th 17, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Max Weight of Non Lift Producing Components

I believe you are correct, you don't want to overload the spar with fuselage weight, thus, spread it out through the wings.
I know some ships had water in the wings but also additional in a tank in the fuselage to get the wing loading up due to low volume wings. You would load the wings, then finish off with the fuselage. Dumping ballast is fuselage first, then wings.

As to MTOW, some larger aircraft also have a MLW, max landing weight which I believe is mostly due to loads when the mains hit the runway.
So, some aircraft can take off at a higher weight than they can land! So, if they run into an issue, they may have to fly around to burn fuel off to get within landing weight, or even dump fuel (don't tell the EPA!).