Old April 15th 05, 01:17 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:AZz7e.14314$xL4.12721@attbi_s72...
If my government taxed gasoline so that it cost $7.50 per gallon, I

would
be
standing on my representatives desk right now. And so would millions

of
Americans.

No they won't!

Day after tomorrow is tax day and no one is even flinching.

I think you're wrong, Matt.

The Federal tax code has been carefully -- even diabolically -- written so
that the average Joe on the street has NO idea what he's actually paying

in
taxes.

You mean they don't look at line 45 of their 1040? :~)

Various pundits have been showing us "Tax Freedom Day" for as long as I
remember, but no one has jumped up on footstools, much less their
representatives desk.

By forcing employers to withhold the tax BEFORE the employee ever
sees the money, the Gubmint not only guarantees payment, it guarantees
acquiescence.

Bottom line: The government keeps the tax laws inscrutably complex quite

on
purpose, lest they provoke an uprising.

And the people (see poll I quoted) are willing to acquiese to it, rather
than lose their "goodies".

Gas prices, on the other hand, are plain as day transparent, and people

are
already ****ed as hell. The Bush administration is crapping their pants
right now, watching GW's approval rating plummet, primarily because of
rising gas prices.

John Kerry, Al Gore, Bill and Hillary Clinton have all stated, in public,
that Americans should be paying $4.50 to $5.00 a galllon and their support
is about 45% of the people.

If it hit $7.50 a gallon, you would see a revolution in America.

It depends on how soon it happened. Remember all those jokes about quotes
from the 1950's, that if things keep going they way there were, a house
would cost $50,000? Or a weeks groceries would be $25?

Remember the analogy of the frog in boiling water.