Old February 4th 20, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Future of aviation, or flash in the pan??

The diesel fuel is brought by the same trucks that deliver diesel fuel to the
town. My understanding is a town uses a lot more diesel than the charging station.

The "complete story" is told in a number of places, but remember, gasoline powered
cars must also be built. Disposal is similar, except the batteries are very
valuable and are definitely recycled. The emissions from electricity to charge
them is well-quantified, and obviously varies considerably across the country;
generally, even using electricity from the worst coal power plants gives them
emissions no worse than a comparable gasoline car. In some areas, like the Pacific
NW where I live, electric cars produce almost zero emissions, since most of the
electricity is from hydro, nuclear, wind, and solar.

Dan Marotta wrote on 2/4/2020 10:20 AM:
But where did the diesel fuel for the charging station come from and how was it
delivered?* My point for not being very supportive of electric vehicles is the
lack of acknowledgement of all the fossil fuels that went into the mining,
manufacturing, disposal, electrical generation, etc., spent on these vehicles.* I
think they're technologically terrific but the complete story is never told.* Some
day, just not today...

A friend sent me a link from Europe stating that charging station prices would
increase by 500% starting this past January 31.* Can anyone from Europe chime in
and say if that was real or fake?

On 2/4/2020 11:01 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Dan Marotta wrote on 2/4/2020 9:38 AM:
I saw a picture the other day of an electric super charger connected to a
diesel generator.* It was probably a gag, but who knows?* These electronazis
never seem to say just where the electricity comes from.

That picture might be from Australia, where the roads in the outback are long,
the small towns along them are very isolated, and their electricity comes from
diesel generators. The diesel powered charging stations are very efficient, and
electric cars using them use no more fuel than a comparable gas car or diesel
car. Of course, the initial 100-300 miles of the trip is from the car's battery
(charged from the grid), so the overall trip might use very little diesel.