Old April 5th 07, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default High Winds Destroys a Glider

On Apr 4, 10:28 pm, "ContestID67" wrote:
Last weekend a spring storm ripped through our area with 70mph local
winds and reports of a nearby microburst that took off some roofs.
This event also torn our Schweizer 2-33 out of its tie down moorings,
cartwheeled it about 30 feet and wrapped it around a tree. The
fuselage was broken in two as were both wings. An absolute total loss
to a ship that I learned to fly in. Rather sad.

The ship was tied down with stout nylon rope at the tail and both
wing's anchor points (replaced just a few week's ago). The nose was
tied down via very stout chain to the tow release. All these stout
items were anchored into the ground with 4' screw in anchors (the
stout kind) which had been in place for many years. The glider had
been flow the day before.

While we have no way or knowing what actually happened that night, we
know that the tow release's rear vertical bar (the part which is moved
when the tow release ball is pulled) was found broken and the critical
cross piece which holds the tow hook was missing. The left wing's tie
down was found broken in the middle. The right wing's tie down
deperated at a fitting. The rear tie down anchor was torn out of the
ground. There were significant divots in the ground behind the tie
down area. These are the facts, the rest is conjecture.

I believe that broken tow release allowing the curved part of the tow
hook to swing free and release the nose tiedown chain. The now
unteathered nose of the glider became airborn putting tremendous
strain on the wing tie down ropes. Finally one tie down failed and
the ship flew straight up on its tail pulling apart the other wing's
tie down and yanking the anchor from the ground. Finally the wing
tips and nose of the glider dug into the ground during the
cartwheeling. It must have been quite a sight.

The club's email dialog on this event has included talk about how not
to have this happen again. Different ideas have been floated around
including tail stands (to lower the angle of attack of the wings) and
lift spoilers. My question to you is what do you do (short of
hangaring) to protect your gliders from wind storms?

Thanks in Advance, John

We lost one in a similar way 10 years ago. Ultimately rebuilt, but
painful.
Since then we do the following.
Nose has anchor about 3 ft in front of hook. 4 foot angled stake and
chain.
Mains use 2 stakes about 3 ft apart and independent tie down
ropes(rope has a little "give" unlike chain) to rings.
Tips have single tie down anchor point added by increasing size of
bolt holding tip wheel to 1/4 inch and putting bolt thru wing to
top.
Since doing this we have had 90 MPH in a hurricane and have not lost
one -yet!

Good Luck
UH