Old February 14th 21, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Flying with Parachutes

In the older military ejection seats that I flew, the "zero delay
lanyard" connects the seat to the D-ring. The pilot connects and
disconnects it when passing through 10,000 feet. Connected below,
disconnected when above. With the lanyard connected, when the pilot
separates from the seat, the D-ring is pulled.

To do this in a glider, I would want a static line of considerable
length to ensure good separation from the glider. I wouldn't be too
concerned about the D-ring getting pulled when considering the alternative.

Dan
5J

On 2/14/21 9:44 AM, AS wrote:
On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 10:42:51 AM UTC-5, Gregg Ballou wrote:
On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 10:19:15 AM UTC-5, wrote:
After seeing Nadler's talk, I discussed a static line with my master rigger. It seems there's no simple way to set up a static line for the chutes most of us use where the ripcord normally goes over the shoulder to the release. Static lines require a different routing.

Can some Europeans weigh in here, I understand most of them run the static line direct to the ripcord handle. That is not how you would do military/old school skydiving static line systems but will work fine in a glider. Guessing your rigger is hung up on how student and military static line systems work. Ask a European glider pilot or call a glider manufacturer that puts the anchor hooks in and ask them how they expect it to be set up.

I understand most of them run the static line direct to the ripcord handle.

NOOOOOOO - the static line does NOT attach to the D-Handle!!!
A static line chute has the static line stored within the container which deploys the main chute. The ones I am familiar with would have the canopy in a separate container. When the static line goes tight, that container stays at the end of the line until the risers are fully deployed. Then the canopy is released. It is an almost bulletproof way of getting the chute out and deployed without tangles. I have witnessed an instructor and student bail out of a L13 which lost a wing in mid-flight. Both made it out and down safely on their 26ft round static line chutes.

Uli
'AS'