Old February 14th 21, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Flying with Parachutes

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 10:03:37 -0700, Dan Marotta wrote:

To do this in a glider, I would want a static line of considerable
length to ensure good separation from the glider. I wouldn't be too
concerned about the D-ring getting pulled when considering the
alternative.

I've flown a total of two flights with a static line, both at the
Waserkuppe. The first was a checkride in an ASK-21, the second was solo
in an ASK-23. It was a while back, but IIRC the static line was 5m long
and attached directly to the part of the parachute harness that contains
the canopy. An essential part of the pre-flight briefing was "after
landing, remember to take the chute off BEFORE walking away from the
glider".

I'd surprised if anybody recommended attaching the static line to the D-
ring because:

- the D-ring pull direction is almost directly opposite what you'd
expect from a static line

- there'd be a good chance getting the static line wound round your
neck as you exit the glider.

- the static line remains attached to the glider. From memory the clip
at the glider end is similar to that on a parachute harness.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org