Old July 21st 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Default barrel roll in 172

Dudley

Can it be said?

In a Barrel Roll the ball starts centered and stays centered
throughout the roll until aircraft returns to straight and level
flight and starts some other maneuver.

In a Slow Roll (sometimes called Point Roll) the ball starts centered
and is then never centered except momentarily when bird has rolled 180
degrees and is inverted, until completion of roll and return to
straight and level flight?

Rolls are easy to explain face to face in briefing using hands or
models and demo in air, but over Internet the nuances of English make
it difficult.

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:43:10 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote:

Ron;
I think what might be happening here is that some folks are defining the
roll from the set point rather than from level flight. It's true that any
raising of the nose from level flight will require more than 1 g, but once
at the set point and initiating the roll (aileron roll) you can unload the
airplane all the way down to 0 g if you like right up to the backside
recovery to level flight, where the g of course has to be returned.
Dudley Henriques

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
om...
Big John wrote:
Andrey

As has been said in all the posts, the short answer is NO. 172 is not
certified to do barrel rolls.

However I can barrel roll a 172 only pulling 1 G which puts no more
load on airframe than straight and level flight. I have thousands of
hours to back up my statement.

No you can not.

It's not possible to even start the roll without going greater
than 1G.