Old October 15th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Free G1000 sim

Doug wrote:
I just want to learn the "knobology". I don't care about flying the
airplane. Any free or cheap G1000 sim software out there?

I use it with my students. It does a good job with the knobology
although turning the knobs with a mouse is enough to make you throw
your soda at the screen. The autopilot simulation is terrible so its
difficult to do much vectoring (all turns seem to be steep turns and it
usually over turns). I believe Garmin charges just $3 shipping for the
CD.
However, the best way is in the plane. We have a GPU that we hook up to
the plane to provide power while going through stuff. If the student is
knowledgable about the 430 he's way ahead of the game. The G1000's nav
side is just like the 430 and nothing like the 480. The first step with
students is to teach them the page and cursor navigation stuff. If you
don't know that you'll always be lost.

-Robert