Old October 15th 18, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RR

Default Towrope tensions....Part II

It seems like the practical answer is the one you want is some fraction more than the rope you intend to use. We typically use a 1600 lb tow rope, you want to be sure the mount stays on the plane, and the rope will break when you need it. In our club, we had a contingent that tried to use 1200 lb rope. The result was several rope breaks, all on the ground, mostly with 2 place ships, as the rope came tight after slack takeup or initial roll out.

Rick