Old March 29th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic

Default Naval Aviator Production

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:52:19 -0500, "Frank Minich"
wrote:

Hi,

Does anybody know of a chart showing the number of Naval Aviators
'graduating' on a year-by-year basis, going back to the 40's?

Someplace in my "stored stuff" I have a chart that goes from the end
of WWII into the early '70s. It's gross numbers. I have no idea what
box it's in, but I got it when I was drilling with the CNATRA Reserve
Unit. If I can lay my hands on it, I will. But no promises on either
timetable or success! :-)

I know it would be tougher now that "Naval Aviator numbers" are not assigned
to individuals, but I'm just wondering.
What with the 'payback' period growing longer and longer, and the number of
P3s and carriers continuing to head downward, seems like the number would be
approaching 0.

When I went through Pensacola in 73, there was an unused wing at the BOQ
that "was full during VietNam" (so they said). It was mildly depressing
then - I wonder what it's like now.

AOCS and OCS are now consolitated in Newport. I was in P'Cola last
Jan. it was a virtual "ghost town." I reported in June, '68 and a
"ghost town" it was not!!!!!!! :-)

My recollection of the chart is that into the roughly '63-64 time
frame production was significant. At that time it dropped
significantly. I'm told the drop was the result of the "Whiz Kids"
learning that a significant percentage of Nuggets were not assigned to
Fleet Seats upon graduation, but ended up "stashed" someplace
(SERGRAD, station pilot, etc.).

In my graduating class (July, '69) most went to P-3s, a few (like me
:-) ) to Stoofs, and a smaller percentage of Fudds (E-1 and E-2),
C-130s, VRC, VR, SERGRAD, and one to a non-flying billet at the
NAVPHOTOCEN.