Old June 29th 04, 02:46 PM
EDR

In article , R.T. wrote:

For my needs a decent payload is going to be important, so I am considering
purchasing a 182 or possibly a Cherokee 6 (which would suit me even better).
Any opinions on either of these aircraft good or bad would be appreciated.

Six seats vice four seats gives you more flexibility, leg room and
cargo space.

The Cherokee Six has a ten knot speed advantage in cruise (135 kts vice
125 kts).

For off airport/non-paved surface operations, the 182 will be less
succeptible to FOD damage (high wing and higher horizontal stabilizer)

Typical Cessna vice Piper arguements:
High wing vice low wing
Both have two doors, in this case!

I fly both and I think the 182 will get in and out of shorter fields.
Then again, the Cherokee Six has 300 higher gross (3400 lbs vice 3100
lbs)
The 1978 Cherokee Six has 84 gallons usable
The 1986 Cessna 182R has 88 gallons usable

The Cherokee Six consumes 16 gph in cruise
The 182 consumes 12 gph in cruise

My observations and experiences.