Old December 26th 09, 01:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

Default American Airlines in Jamaica Incident

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 22:22:30 -0500, rich wrote
(in article ):

Thanks for the pix.

It should be noted that the original news reports out of Kingston said that
the aircraft was broken into two pieces. AA denied this. Apparently they were
correct; it's broken into _three_ pieces.

I'd like to know how on _Earth_ the pilot managed to overrun when using a
9,000 foot plus long runway. 747s flying trans-Atlantic fly into Norman
Manley. The _Concorde_, back when it was flying, would on occasion fly into
Norman Manley. Unless I'm in error, 737s can land in _5,000_ feet. How short
did he touch down, and how fast was he going? And if Norman Manley gave him
trouble, I do hope that AA doesn't fly into St. Lucia. Hewanorra in the south
is bad enough, but Vigie up north in Castries, now... Let's just say that
Vigie's runway is a hell of a lot shorter than 9,000 feet, that one end of
the runway is literally in Castries harbour and the other end is in the
Caribbean, and that the first time someone put a jet into Vigie (a BWIA 727)
the pilot took it in low over Castries, so low that he blew out the windows
in the French embassy...