Old January 20th 10, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic[_2_]

Default QF-14

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 07:09:34 -0600, bob urz
wrote:

Why did not the US turn the F14 into QF14 drones rather than just cut
them up? How many F14's are left in the bone yard?

I see there are plans for QF-16's when the F4 supply runs low.

There were some postings a while back when the F-14 was retired that
the decision was largely based upon costs (dollars and maintenance
hours per flight hour). I don't remember all the details but my
impression is that those costs are so high that a Q version would be
just too expensive.