Old December 15th 05, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Another reason to fly yourself

When you contrast those days with the Russian Aeroflot model we've come
to emulate (just think -- we used to make fun of them!) since then, it is
to weep.

Maybe if you didn't have to pay for the tickets back then. Airfare from
Knoxville to New York then and now costs over $700. But $700 was half the
cost of a new car in the early 60s.

Oh, I intellectually *know* all that. Flying was exclusive, literally,
back then, and is much more accessible to the common man today. In that
regard, it's all good.

But, hell, go back to the 1930s. To fly on the Pan Am Clippers from the
U.S. to Japan cost the equivalent of $10,000 US dollars -- at the height of
the Great Depression! Now *that* was exclusive!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA