Old April 24th 04, 01:31 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 22 Apr 2004 23:59:48 GMT, Andrew Sarangan wrote:

I never understood why holding patterns are so damn important. I have
received a holding clearance only once in my life. Why are they required
for the recency experience and the checkride? Also, why are the entry
procedures so important? Is there any example where an incorrect entry
procedure would have caused an accident?

The only requirement for a holding pattern is to stay within the protected
area. Getting to the holding fix and turning the shortest way to remain
within the protected area can be a simpler (and acceptable) method of
getting into the hold than the "recommended" procedures.

From the IR PTS holding procedures: "Explains and uses an entry
procedure that ensures the aircraft remains within the holding pattern
airspace for a standard, nonstandard, published, or nonpublished holding
pattern."

So far as it's usefulness, just a few days ago I missed an approach into my
home base because the ceiling was below minimums. The missed approach
procedure included a holding pattern. My plan was to hold for a 1/2 hour
and then try the approach again. If that didn't work, I would be off to my
alternate. Of course, my fairly new CNX80 made holding pretty simple. The
box even adjusted the holding pattern size (and shape) to account for the
winds!