Old May 13th 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

Default Buffalo Q400 crash

In article ,
Ron Garret wrote:

In article
,
bod43 wrote:

On 13 May, 12:57, Robert Moore wrote:
James Robinson *wrote

The drop in airspeed was unnoticed, and the stall seemed
to catch them completely by surprise.

I wonder what the stall warning was doing all of this time?

Bob Moore

It appears that it was the stall warning (stick shaker) that the
captain (pilot flying) reacted to.

The reaction was to immediately pull back pretty hard
quickly precipitating an actual stall. 80% power was also
selected immediately. The stick was held back pretty much
until impact.

This boggles my mind. I'm just a PP but throughout my training I've had
it drilled in to me to lower the nose on an impending stall. How can
any pilot not know that, let alone one who is getting paid to fly
passengers?

Seconded. Stall warning, stick goes forward! Forward! Or whatever you
do, it does not go *back*! How can you get into the position of carrying
a bunch of passengers around for hire without knowing this?

I imagine the explanation not as simple as it appears. (The simple
explanation being "they were morons".) I'll be really interested to hear
just how their training got them to this point.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth