Old July 17th 18, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Default Ray Galloway (P1)

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 6:39:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Sorry to report my dear friend Ray Galloway (papa one) checked out (peacefully) last night. I talked with him a couple of days ago. He said he was "ready", but it is still hard on his friends and family. Ed Byars

Pulled up to a stoplight on HWY 49 in Siler City, NC (100 miles from home) one afternoon 30 years ago. Looked over at the car next to me, I was suprised and delighted to see that the driver was Ray Galloway. Ray was in a jacket and tie with a carload of his similarly attired business associates. I was wearing a completely filthy farm coverall and was driving a dumptruck loaded with salvaged chicken house equipment. Ray glanced over for just a microsecond, then looked away quickly. He managed to ignore me for a while, but his associates could not help but notice the filthy lunatic in the dumptruck next to them waving his arms, hollering, and blowing the horn. Ray finally had to look over. He was clearly embarrassed, but he gave a quick little wave, and as the light had just turned green, sped away as fast at that Buick would go. Years later, Ray said he just told his associates that he had no idea who that guy in the truck was.