Old March 21st 18, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Recommendations for cataract surgery lenses for flying

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 12:32:22 AM UTC-7, Peter Whitehead wrote:
The thread was regarding the possibility of using multi-focal INTRA-Ocular lenses at cataract surgery, not contact lenses.
I would suggest looking at the website www.allaboutvision.com and choose 'multifocal IOL's' to learn a bit more.
I am a family doctor, not an ophthalmologist, but as a glider pilot flying in the same sky as you, maybe one day, I might prefer that you opt for single focus lenses for distance vision. My understanding is that the clarity of distance vision is less good with multi-focal IOL's.
Good luck with your choice.

While the thread is about IOLs, my suggestion is to try contacts with the same optics before you have your eyes cut.

Multifocal lenses come in a variety of optical strategies: center distance and peripheral near correction, center near and peripheral distance, several concentric rings, true aspheric, pinhole focus, etc. IOLs come in some variety too though maybe not as much. All of these work by casting two or more complete images on the retina. Your brain must sort through which to look at, and many people's brains do a remarkably good job of it. Some not so good. Among the complaints are blurry vision and bad night vision (halos around light sources). Another is that it isn't as good as a set of proper reading glasses for long term reading or computer work, and IOLs can't be removed and left on the vanity. Having IOLs put in without knowing whether your brain will adapt, or which multifocal strategy you or your brain prefer, is roulette. However you may adapt very well and love it, which is why I suggest trying it with contacts first.

Even with 2 multifocal contact lenses my vision is 20/20. A large number of pilots have worse vision than someone with a multifocal lens - it is an individual thing.