Old September 29th 04, 06:40 PM
Judy Ruprecht

At 03:42 29 September 2004, Ken Ward wrote:
I also read that in denying exemption 6024 in 1995
the FAA explicitly said that certificated aircraft
were the preferred tow vehicles for unpowered ultralight
vehicles, but I haven't been able to find that statement
using Google.

You probably need the docket number to obtain a copy
of the exemption ruling from the Feds. (Might be easier
to get from USHGA?) Here's what I found doing an advanced
search on the Federal Register query page at:
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/fr/advanced.html

Federal Register

Docket No.: 23980
Petitioner: United States Hang Gliding Association,
Inc.
Sections of the FAR Affected: 14 CFR 103.1
Description of Relief Sought/Disposition: To amend
Exemption No. 4144, as amended, which allows unpowered
ultralight vehicles to be towed aloft by powered ultralight
vehicles operated by individuals authorized by the
United States Hang Gliding Association, Inc. The amendment
would have allowed an increase to the weight limit
for single-place powered ultralight vehicles, used
in air-to-air towing operations only, up to
360 pounds empty weight. Additionally, this petition
would have allowed an increase to the weight limit
for two-place powered ultralight vehicles, used in
air-to-air towing operations only, up to 496 pounds
empty weight. Exemption No. 4144, as amended, stand
as is; the amendment is denied. Denied, February 10,
1995, Exemption No. 6024

Judy