Old June 10th 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Rear View Cameras

On Jun 10, 12:54*pm, sisu1a wrote:
On Jun 10, 8:57*am, "Ken Kochanski (KK)"
wrote:

Now that we are moving to large screen nav displays, how hard would it
be to install a rear view camera ... not so much for backing up *...
(I can do that without a camera on any given contest day) *... but for
those pesky pilots that insist on flying in your blind spot ... i.e.
i'm thinking this would be one button to switch to rear-view ... and
another press to get back to nav.

KK

Weird timing... I've totally been thinking about this lately as well,
not so much for leechers (not a problem for me yet, but maybe
someday... so much as for safety reasons since I do like to engage
in intentional maneuvers involving abrupt changes in my aircraft’s
attitude, abnormal attitudes, and abnormal accelerations, not
necessary for normal flight... It would sure be nice to clear the air
first by looking at my rear/bottom view cameras instead doing clearing
turns.

-Paul

That's funny, I just bought one yesterday at the local auto-parts
store. Here's the link: http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_backup_camera.html

It costs about $98 and has a camera that goes on your license plate
mount and a transmitter powered by the back-up light. A receiver with
a small color LCD display attached to your windshield with a suction
cup and runs off a cigarette lighter jack. You can flip the image
from reversed like a mirror to reality looking backwards, your
choice. I got it to put on the back of the glider trailer for the
occasional crew that has to come get me and isn't used to a 30+ foot
trailer (cheap insurance). It did occur to me to put it on the
glider, but a mirror will do most of what it does for less trouble so
it isn't worth the trouble to me. It would be better than a mirror for
clearing behind and below, though. Now if I can just zero it to the
tail guns, the leeches are toast.

Don