Old February 14th 10, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Dave[_19_]

Default If all midair collisions were eliminated...

Just to throw in .02 re your TCAS comment..................

We have the ZAON XRX on board our Cherokee in a VERY busy environment
(100,000 operations /yr)

I cannot begin to tell you how useful this tool is in tracking
trafffic around us

For $1500 !

Dave

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 13:39:48 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

writes:

My point is you cannot eliminate mid air collisions no matter what
training is given that you insist will eliminate mid airs.

I don't recall insisting that any training would eliminate midair accidents.
Training is likely to reduce them, however.

... human factor will
contribute to UNAVOIDABLE collisions or errors in flying an
airplane.

Human beings who become careless or reckless and rationalize it by saying that
it's impossible to eliminate accidents, anyway, will surely be involved in new
accidents.

"Unavoidable" is a strong word. There haven't been many incidents that were
truly unavoidable. Just because a human being messes up doesn't mean that the
messing up was impossible to avoid.

But you don't know this since you sit behind a desktop simulator USING
TCAS that most of us don't have.

One advantage of simulation is that you can afford better avionics. However,
only one of my small aircraft (the Baron) is equipped with TCAS, and the very
same instrument (a Sandel ST3400) is available to anyone with a small aircraft
who is prepared to pay for it (about $35,000 for the real-world version, and
1000 times cheaper for the sim version).

Could there be a better process to improve safety, possibly and
probably, but I don't have that answer.

Safety improvements tend to be incremental, not revolutionary.