Old April 24th 20, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Our New Club Ship Becoming Reality

On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 17:35:55 +0100, Nick Hill wrote:

On 24/04/2020 13:03, Martin Gregorie wrote:

ASK-21s do spin: don't let anybody tell you they won't.

I did my pre-solo spin training on one, *without* the tail weight,
though admittedly neither the instructor or myself were heavy people
and it needed a fair amount of persuasion to spin. You need a minimum
energy entry: set it up fully stalled in a straight line with the stick
on the back stop, full rudder until its rolled 45 degrees and then put
the stick in the opposite rear corner, and it rolls wings vertical as
it starts to spin. Recovery is normal.

whilst this may be true and allow practising spin recovery the risk is
that this gives an impression for a trainee that a situation where a
glider will spin is not one likely to be encountered in normal flight.

Yes, agreed, but you can say the same about the G103 Twin Acro II, which
is at least as difficult to spin. We used to have one (replaced by a
Perkoz) that I once did annual spin checks in with, AFAIK, the only
instructor we had who knwe how to spin it - and even he could only spin
it left. Thats because the G.103 is chronically under-ruddered and the
rudder hinge attaches it to the left fin skin. Consequently it has
slightly more left than right rudder.

So, on the whole I prefer trainers to be more unforgiving than the ASK-21
or the G-103. Personally, I like the Puchacz a lot - its much more
pleasant to fly solo than either an ASK-21 or a G103.

But, all I really was saying that thinking an ASK-21 won't spin is an
attitude that may catch you out one day. Its manual also says it won't
spin inverted but there are or were test pilots at Edwards who showed
that to be wrong.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org