Old February 27th 07, 02:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
CWO4 Dave Mann

Default Hellcat Mk I - NICE ! ! ! - ah150-Tulagi.jpg (1/1) [107K]

Netko wrote:
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 2:37:42 +0000, Mitchell Holman wrote
(in message ):

A Hellcat with DDay invasion stripes? What
Hellcats were flying in the ETO?

Not the ETO but close: a couple of USN escort carriers with
Hellcats supported the landings in southern France in August 1944
(Operation Dragoon).

The attached picture shows one of these vessels, the USS Tulagi, on
its way to the Riviera beaches.

I am guessing that they would have been used for close air support - air
to ground? The fast movers (Mustangs, Lightnings, T-Birds, Spits) would
have been up at altitude to kill any bombers or fighters?

And thanks for the pictures .. I thought the F4F was out of the fight by
1944.

Cheers,

Dave