Old February 27th 07, 07:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Llarry

Default Hellcat Mk I - NICE ! ! ! - ah150-Tulagi.jpg (1/1) [107K]

"CWO4 Dave Mann" wrote in message
. ..
I am guessing that they would have been used for close air support - air
to ground? The fast movers (Mustangs, Lightnings, T-Birds, Spits) would
have been up at altitude to kill any bombers or fighters?

And thanks for the pictures .. I thought the F4F was out of the fight by
1944.

The Wildcat soldiered on right to the end, mostly FM-1s and FM-2s built by
Eastern so Grumman could concentrate on Hellcats. The Wildcats were used
mainly in the Atlantic on Jeep carriers for convoy escort / antisubmarine
duty, since you didn't need a Hellcat to deal with a Kondor...

In the Pacific, FMs were used behind the lines, where you might run into at
worst a bomber or recon plane, or the occasional sub. Again, allowing
Corsairs and Hellcats to stay at the front.

--
--Llarry Amrose

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in
practice, there is.
-- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut