Old September 30th 03, 04:27 AM
Steve Hix

In article
,
"Vaughn" wrote:

"robert arndt" wrote in message
m...

The EMW A6 does bear a strong
resemblence to the X-15 though in basic configuration...

In the same way that most every airplane resembles all other airplanes.

What dose not ring true about the drawing is that the fuze is
beautifully "area-ruled". That is, the fuze is made smaller where the wings
and tail attach in an attempt to keep the total area constant. I was under
the impression that the "area rule" came from postwar research. Am I wrong?

It came out of research at Langley done by Richard Whitcomb and others
from 1949-51. He was awarded the Collier Trophy for the work in 1954.

Work there on transonic airflow and drag began around 1943, but
Whitcomb's contribution was critical, and began in 1948.