Old October 23rd 12, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

Default Roeger Hooks for ASW Sailplanes?

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:02:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, October 22, 2012 10:32:25 PM UTC-4, RAS56 wrote:

Hmmm...ok. Will do. Have looked at most/if not all of the TN's for 19's and haven't found it addressed. Perhaps it's overkill (based on conversations with -19 bailout survivors), but still would like to stack the deck in my favor.

Thanks.

RS

Right; it concerned me a bit moving from a 304C (with the hook) to a 19.

I imagined braining myself attempting to bail out. However, what I've

heard is that the canopy stays stuck on by air pressure after you pull

all the handles, and you have to push it off.

My bigger concern is the instrument panel. It's a fair chore to extricate

my tired old bulk at the end of a flight sitting on the ground. I quail in

horror at getting out against positive G, or at breaking my legs coming

out in negative G.

-- Matt

Lots of good information about canopy behavior during bail-out. http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/roegerhaken-e.html

Craig