Old October 24th 12, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Roeger Hooks for ASW Sailplanes?

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:02:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, October 22, 2012 10:32:25 PM UTC-4, RAS56 wrote: Hmmm...ok. Will do. Have looked at most/if not all of the TN's for 19's and haven't found it addressed. Perhaps it's overkill (based on conversations with -19 bailout survivors), but still would like to stack the deck in my favor. Thanks. RS Right; it concerned me a bit moving from a 304C (with the hook) to a 19. I imagined braining myself attempting to bail out. However, what I've heard is that the canopy stays stuck on by air pressure after you pull all the handles, and you have to push it off. My bigger concern is the instrument panel. It's a fair chore to extricate my tired old bulk at the end of a flight sitting on the ground. I quail in horror at getting out against positive G, or at breaking my legs coming out in negative G. -- Matt

Tilt up panel for '19 is not particularly hard to do and has no significant effect on Wt & Bal. We've done a couple of them.
A look at "modern" Schleicher cockpits and canopies would be useful in determining how to get a similar result in older Schleicher gliders.
FWIW the best technique I've heard, if one could remember to do it is to cross arms so left hand grabs the right latch and Rt grabs left. Thus when canopy is released, you don't get hit in the kisser.
UH