Old September 25th 17, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default Smart Phone Contest Sailplane Tracking

For android the app is IGCDroid. I've been using that along with Delorme InReach. IGCDroid works great too. It's very simple to start it up and just let it run. The beauty of the phone app is that it provides fine resolution mapping and it's practically free. The InReach unit provides coverage where there isn't cell service. In the west, there's a lot of territory where cell phones don't work; I think, less so in the east. I've added a power port to my panel so that I don't have to be concerned about draining the phone battery. Having the phone running has some other benefits as well.