Old December 8th 03, 01:04 AM
Mike O'Malley

"Nathan Young" wrote in message

snip

I also kept thinking how incredibly stupid it was for a pilot with no
time in type to get in and fly a completely unknown aircraft,
especially a high-performance experimental.

I don't see what the big deal was/is. Insurence companies have brainwashed us
all into thinking you are hazard to yourself and everyone on the ground if you
don't have 5/10/50 (you pick) hours in type and a CFI checkout before flying
something.

BS- Is it safer to have a checkout with an instructor or experienced pilot
before you fly a new airplane? Yes, maybe. Can you also check yourself out in
a new airplane if you're careful and do your research. Of course you can.

Familiarize yourself with the POH/operators manual. Memorize emergency
procedures and systems. Pay attention to the airspeeds and limitations, then go
fly. Get to altitude and get a feel for the airplane. See how if handles in
the landing configuration. After awhile, an airplane is an airplane. They all
fly the same, some just have a few little quirks.

I'm not advocating this for everybody. If you have access to a CFI for a
checkout it is MUCH better. But it is not impossible to check yourself out in a
new type. I've done it more than a few times, some with "there's the Green
tail, it's a little heavier than you're used to and not as quick, go fly" Hell,
that plane didn't even HAVE a POH or operator's manual.

--
Mike