View Single Post
Old August 4th 20, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

Default Super Cub Tow Release Position Improvement

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 10:35:19 AM UTC-4, Brian wrote:
On Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 6:57:20 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Nice to see people waking up. No system is 100 percent fool proof but any release handle not IMMEDIATELY available to the tow pilot is an accident (potentially fatal) waiting to happen. Any club or commercial operation not willing to acknowledge this and make the change should be abandoned by any tow pilot immediately. IT'S YOUR LIFE.

WALT CONNELLY
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot

I think I like this idea, anyone have photos, drawings, sketchs of how these are mounted, fabricated, cable routed? for Cub, Citabra, Scout style aircraft?

Brian, the mount should be easily reached and released from the tow pilots position while securely strapped into the tow plane. As Walt has stated, "it is about time", more tow planes need to be inspected and a determination should be made as to the ease of release. I have see tow planes that would make it impossible to release under any circumstance much less an emergency.. The question that I have is, how many tow pilots were lost because they could not effectively reached or located the release? One is too many.