Old September 6th 03, 04:09 PM
Chip Jones

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
k.net...

The drive to lower cost, presumably through technology, would result in
fewer controller positions.

Theoretically, but how can you lower cost while you are trying to invent and
implement technology to replace human beings? Those of us on the inside
know that "technology" isn't forthcoming that is going to replace us. What
"technology?"

Also, IMO that ignores the issue of job security for those of us already in
the system and paying union dues to NATCA. At Atlanta ARTCC for example, we
are operating at about 65-70% of our *minimum* staffing numbers. ZTL is
operationally the busiest ATC facility in the world right now in terms of
operational count. I put our airspace complexity up against any ATC
facility in the world too. There are extremely busy, complicated night
shifts here where we run 8 controllers on a shift that has an official
minimum staffing requiremnt for 15 controllers. These 8 controllers manage
to work an area with 7 sectors for whole shift. We're doing six day weeks
here. Over half of us can retire within the next ten years. Ain't no
technology in the world that is within ten years of deployment that is gonna
replace us- we're already working below bare bones staffing in my ARTCC. We
have job security here. Our personal goal is to live long enough to retire
in a few years.

Of course, the DOT IG just testified to Congress that 75% percent of the
Centers are "overstaffed". LOL! Where are they, Seattle?

Chip, ZTL