Old May 15th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Turbine to RC transition

Insults from full sized pilots who don't care about RC aside, that's an
interesting idea about the ADF and antenna circuit. As an RC helicopter
pilot, I'm not sure how it's going to help you. You still need to direct
the model to where you want it to go, relative to where it is and it's
orientation to you. I guess I'm missing the point, but it seems to me that,
as hard as RC helicopter are to "learn" to fly (they're really not that bad
once you know how. You full size pilots should understand that statement!
;-) ), that if what you're suggesting would work, someone would have tried
it by now!

By the way, I'm glad you're enjoying the coaxial model, and I don't mean to
burst your bubble but, of the folks I know that have tried them, most say
the new electric coaxials are dirt simple to control relative to the
standard configuration (main and tail rotor) style models. If you think
what you have is challenging, try a standard model. ;-) You're right
though, they are a stinkin blast! :-D

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

"B4RT" wrote in message
Some friends bought me a really spiffy coaxial RC helicopter for my
birthday. Holy canoli these things are a stinkin blast! A little humbling
at first too, it took me a while to figure out the trim hickamajobs, and
flying one without it being trimmed is damn near impossible. I crashed
pretty badly once and it cost me a set of rotor blades, truly embarassing.

I've seen some comments that they fly like the bigger ones, and to a
limited extent I agree, but mostly its its own animal and my more general
knowledge only helped a little. I mostly have to follow the thing around
and stay behind it so that I don't get confused with the controls. Trying
to visulize being inside is still very confusing for my old synapses if
its tail is anywhere between 9 and 3 o'clock.

The whole reversed sensing / control thing led to a really simple circuit
idea that could make it so that the controls were always oriented for the
observer/controller. If you put an ADF circuit and a slightly more
complicated antenna on the helicopter so that it listened to the phase and
doppler from the transmitter's frequency, you could pretty simply make it
so the helicopter always knew where it was relative its controller, and
mix it in to the servo controls. This way left is always left, and right
is always right. The circuit would be pretty dirt cheap. Anyone know if
this has already been done?

I know the rc purists will say bah , and poo poo the whole idea, but truth
is youre cheating anyways with that lil yaw gyro keeping the tail in place
automagically. Besides, my idea isnt just applicable to these lil
choppers, it would work for every ROV that is controlled by an observer
physically watching it.

Bart