View Single Post
Old March 26th 20, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Looking for used Oudie IGC

On Thursday, March 26, 2020 at 1:19:22 PM UTC-4, Patrick Grady wrote:
Yep, I'm looking for a logger in addition to the flight computer.

I'm currently using XCSoar, and I really like the interface, but it seems to not be too reliable. Limited phone battery life, and it seems to like to crash every few hours. If I'm partway through a task, its really annoying to lose everything.

Many people at my club use the Oudie IGC, and the integration and ability to switch gliders easily looks really attractive.

- For non-IGC logging a spare Android phone running IGCdroid will easily run on the battery for 3 times as long as you may fly. It has always worked reliably for me as a backup logger, self-contained and portable. If the phone has a cell service data plan, that same app can also feed the data into Glideport.aero as you fly (in dribs and drabs as it finds cellphone signal).

For my main logger and computer for some years I've used a Nook running Tophat and connected to the main glider battery so battery life was not an issue. That's less portable between gliders though. A "power bank" external battery can make it portable, but be careful to make sure everything is secure in the cockpit in case of turbulence.