Old March 27th 20, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Default Record Numbers Flying US Nightly Soaring!

On Friday, March 27, 2020 at 4:48:34 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
Is US nightly soaring based on Condor Classic or Condor 2?

I've a Condor2 setup with a 'head tracker' for panning the screen and a big game quality screen. It performs nicely, but I quickly get bored, and in the past it seemed like a big waste of time.

Now I'm in a 'stay home' state and I'm going to try to get back into it.

1)I'm going to try the Condor2 racing circuit. The competition might make it more interesting and hold my attention.

2)I might upgrade to VR. People were pumped about VR+Condor2 when it first came out.

Now that the buzz has subsided a bit, what do people really think about VR and Condor2? What level/product of VR are people happy with for Condor2?

I'm also wondering if the VR sex apps are any good... but we had best keep RAS focused on Soaring.

Condor2 is the goto version right now.

The racing aspect certainly makes it more exciting and it's much more than just a simple simulator. Good decisions and strategy pay off and the conditions are often quite challenging. Flying with a group and chatting via Teamspeak (USNS) or Discord (TeamXC.us) adds another dimension and helps everyone to compare notes and refine their gameplan.

IR Head tracking is great with a big screen, but the buzz about VR is legit.. I'm using an Oculus Rift S on a Cyperpower gaming computer with a high-end graphics card. The difference is immersion and it really makes the experience more realistic. It changed my entire Condor2 experience and I'd hate to go back to a monitor.

As for the value of Condor2, I've found all of the lessons I've learned virtually translated perfectly to the real world last season when I got my first shot at ridge flying and thermals to 15,000ft with the Utah Soaring Association. (With Bret Hess - the mastermind behind TeamXC.us).

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL