Old February 8th 05, 12:45 AM
Marc J. Zeitlin

Shin Gou asks:

Can Velocity or Cozy fly at/above 25,000 feet with Superior
supercharged 360 engine? A friend of mine is considering to fly a
Velocity or Cozy for long and high trips and would like to know their
capacity for this kind of mission.

There are numerous Long-Eze's that regularly fly in the low 20's, and
that's with a normally aspirated engine - no turbo-charger or
supercharger. At gross weight, the service ceiling of a COZY will be
around 17K ft - 18K ft with a standard O-360, no turbo/supercharger.
Lighter, say at 1800 lbs, it will be more like 22K ft or so. It
wouldn't surprise me if I could get my COZY to 25K ft if I was solo with
only 20 gallons of gas, and it would only take about 1/2 hour to get up
there (once I get my IR, of course).

Now add a turbo/surpercharger, and 25K ft. for a COZY is easy.
Remember, a NORMALLY aspirated Long-Eze has been up to 35,027 ft. I
know of one builder installing a turbocharged Continental O-360 in his
COZY in order to fly at 25K ft, but he won't be finished for a few
years.

The COZY airframe is more than capable, but remember that up that high,
there's not a lot of time to recover if your O2 system dies - you better
come down FAST.

As far as a Velocity goes, probably not a large difference, but you'll
need a larger engine than for the COZY's, as all Velocities do for
equivalent performance. It would be a bit more comfortable, though :-).

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://marc.zeitlin.home.comcast.net/