Old June 13th 04, 02:37 PM
Doug Hoffman

Bullwinkle wrote:

Good luck to you on this issue. I choose to place a relatively conservative
interpretation on 61.53, for my own protection, and with the best interests
of the overall sport in mind.

I can understand your response, especially given our our society's current
climate of "sue anybody you think you can should anything go wrong even
though you know it wasn't their fault". CYA is the smart way to go.

I know *nothing* of this bipolar condition, so perhaps the correct answer is
indeed "if you have it, regardless of degree or intensity and regardless of
type and ammount of medication then you should not fly gliders".

I *do* know quite a bit about headaches. Not by choice I can assure you.
61.53 does seem to read as DL152279546231 has indicated below:

I have read 61.53 several times though and it seems as long as you and your
doctor feel you are safe, it does not matter if you can't get a medical
certificate because none is required.

Let's apply the above and its interpretation to headaches. I can tell you
that there are headaches and there are *headaches* and everything in
between. There is also a seemingly endless list of prescription medications
that are in use to combat chronic headaches along with either very small
dosages of medication or relatively large dosages of medication.

If I decide that my level of headache, and the effects of my type and level
of medication are such that I am "fit to fly", then what am I *required* to
do per the FAA regulations? Must I seek out some sort of opinion from an MD
and/or the FAA? If so, what then is the meaning of "self certification"?

I would appreciate a non-CYA response.

Regards,

-Doug