Old March 28th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Scratch Building Basics for Metal Aircraft DVD

I bought this DVD, and I'm here to review it.

First, ordering was easy and shipping was rapid.

The subject matter is the forming of component parts, including the
tooling needed to make those component parts, and the focus is on the
rudder for a Zenith, and working 6061-T6.

Overall, it's pretty good. The "stars", Mark and David of Can-Zac
aviation do a good job of explaining things and don't run on too long.
Their attempts a humor are pretty lame, but what do you expect from
Canadians, eh? The director could have tightened up the script/editing
a good bit - do we really need to watch Mark bandsay yet another form
block - but overall, it moves pretty well.

Things I found especially valuable were the method they use to make
straight cuts in sheets up to .040, their advice on tools (both what to
buy and what to avoid), and suggestions on the make/buy decisions.
Another valuable point made is this is supposed to be fun! Keeping a
schedule - what a good idea!

I was a little surprised at some of the things they did, and considered
acceptable practice, Nothing alarming, but overall I was left with the
impression that I can/could/do work as good as theirs, and that's
perhaps the most valuable insight these DVDs can impart to a novice
builder.

Recommended.