Old August 12th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Default Night Currency - Why Full Stops?

am wrote:
Subject says it all. Why do the landings for night currency have to
be made to a full stop?

Thanks
Chris

I read the replies and I hope this is a better answer. One poster said
it correctly, the FARs say you have to.

But, night flying is so different than day. The perspectives of the
runway environment are different and whether you have a dark night or a
full moon night. Safety would be an answer, but I think it is more the
difference. Night flying on a moonless night is akin to IFR, almost,
especially in a sparsely populated area.

Just another bit of information. Before I had to sell my plane, our
local airport wanted to get night approach lights. I took the airport
sponsor and another pilot and went to a couple of airports that had VASI
lights. I made much better landings at night following the VASI than I
did at my home airport without them. I really found it amazing. I guess
I tended to be high on approach at night.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP