Old May 31st 18, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Default Trailer license problem

You're correct - each state has its own hoops for you to get OK with a trailer. Some don't require title or plates, some require plates and registration but give no title, some require a title to get registration and plates.

I can tell you for sure that if you have a PA plate (we only use one) on your tow vehicle and you pull a trailer without a license plate, you will have trouble with the police even if you have a valid BoS (happened to a friend). Might get away with it with non-PA plate(s) on the tow vehicle, but it all depends on the officer you get...

-John, Q3

On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 2:19:58 PM UTC-4, OHM Ω My Michigan purchased homebuilt came without a title. My Illinois home state DOT had no problem with creating one.

What I am picking up here is that each state (from and/or to) has its own nuances/hurdles/insanity on getting the trailer properly licensed/titled.

My bottom line is that I believe I can move the trailer across any state line without either a plate, or a title, as long as I have a valid bill of sale (with phone numbers!). Is that a flawed assumption?

- John OHM Ω