Old January 27th 12, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default New Butterfly Vario

On Jan 27, 10:07*am, wrote:
On Jan 27, 11:32*am, Mike the Strike wrote:

On Jan 27, 7:44*am, Richard wrote:

On Jan 27, 6:12*am, johngalloway wrote:

On Jan 27, 4:10*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Hi,

I added some photos of it in flight to my web site earlier today. *It looks
quite impressive to me.http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/butte...utterfly-Vario

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Brad" wrote in message

On Jan 26, 12:07 pm, Mike the Strike wrote:

On Jan 26, 12:14 pm, wrote:

On Jan 25, 12:15 am, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Hi,

I have just added the new Butterfly Vario to my web site. It is a very
impressive new vario with FLARM display (when attached to a FLARM),
GPS
flight recorder, simple navigation, simple final glide, artificial
horizon,
and many other very nice features. You can see details
hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/butterfly.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

It will be worth informing your customers that fly in US sanctioned
contests that this instrument, as described, will not
be legal for use in US contests due to the incorporation of the
artificial horizon.
UH

I raised the same issue when I first read about it and was told that
the horizon feature can be disabled for use in sanctioned contests.

It looks like a very interesting new instrument and I'm looking
forward to hearing some flight reviews.

Mike

I would like to see some real images of it, the CAD renderings are
cool, but nothing like seeing the "real" unit.

Brad

The real question about this vario is whether the inertial measurement
unit information is successfully utilised in a way that could shift
variometry up a notch. *There were hopes that the 302 would develop
that way when it was first introduced and similar hopes for the
development of the CearNav vario but have Butterfly got there first??

If so, then the price seems not unreasonable - add a display such as a
PDA or Oudie and you have all the functionality of an LX 8/9000
including its expensive *compass and Artificial Horizon options.- Hide quoted text -

Some additional information about the Horizon from Butterfly *FAQs

The Butterfly Vario features an artificial horizon. Will it be allowed
to use the
Butterfly Vario in competitions?
The artificial horizon can be deactivated. The deactivation is logged
by the integrated IGCLogger
and thus is tamper-proof. Butterfly urges rulemaking bodies to
introduce new
competition rules that forbid the use of equipment that enables cloud
flying but allows the
installation and deactivation of such equipment during competitions.

Several Customers have order the Butterfly for use with the Craggy
Aero Ultimate Le.

*http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate_systems.htm

Richardwww.craggyaero.com

Perhaps as this technology becomes more widely available we should re-
examine the rules against cloud flying in competitions. *In my
experience, these rules are frequently infringed by pilots who fly up
to cloud base, into, round or over cumulus clouds!

I'd be interested to hear from contest pilots who can honestly say
that they have never infringed regulations regarding clearance from
clouds. *I suspect the rule is probably unenforceable.

Mike- Hide quoted text -

So you are suggesting that we make IFR flying a part of our
competions?
I'm curious as to how you think that might work.
UH

As Andy pointed out earlier, prohibiting cloud flying is largely
unenforceable and a number of pilots already do this for competitive
advantage. I'm just suggesting leveling the playing field!

Last year, I spotted a fellow competitor exiting a cloud and ribbed
him over a beer afterwards. His comment - "a good job clouds aren't
shown on igc files!"

Mike