Old January 28th 12, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default New Butterfly Vario

On Jan 27, 3:31*pm, Bruno wrote:
I am planning on getting my order in for the Butterfly next week at
the convention so this topic is of great interest. I don't understand
why the instrument needs to be disabled. I agree that it could give a
competitive edge in competition so why not just make sure the igc
records if the artificial horizon feature was used and we are good. *I
would hate to disable an instrument for a contest and then need that
instrument due to a life or death screw up on my part but it is now
disabled.

How about a rules consideration that says if an artificial horizon is
available during a contest that it must be associated with the logger
of the files being used for judging and that a log must be recorded if
that feature is used? *It would still be available if the crap hit the
fan to save the pilot's butt, however if used, the pilot gets zero
points for the day. *Some of the best pilots I know who are also very
safety conscious have confided in me that they have been trapped above
clouds without an artificial horizon and really scared themselves
getting out of it. I for one want the safety of having an instrument
to help me if my life depends on it. I am sure the rules can
accommodate that.

Looking forward to seeing you all next week at the convention.
Bruno - B4

I would suggest to all that unless you are a trained and current
instrument pilot your probably should not rely on a butterfly horizon
to get you out of a jam. Many accidents in power aircraft are
attruibted to flight into IMC with perfictly good instrument aircraft
and unprepaired pilots. Entering a cloud in a glider is usually not
a benign manuever, possibly you will be at VNE already in turbulent
conditions and quite easily can go past VNE and flutter the wings off.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com