Old September 21st 11, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Position Recorders allowed the US for Silver badges?

Chris

Winpilot (Advanced and Pro) will use pressure altitude for airspace
violation warnings etc. The pressure altitude is in the Volkslogger's
PGCS NMEA sentence--assuming that sentence is turned in the Volkslogger
setup. That setup is described well in both the Winpilot and Volkslogger
manuals.

That pressure altitude is of course cockpit ambient pressure and may
disagree with a proper static source. But that is what you have an
altimeter for. And it's the cockpit static that gets recorded in the IGC
file. Pilots should compare these altitudes and effects of opening
cockpit vents etc in flight.

Darryl

Chris Nicholas wrote:

Darryl, thanks. I did not know that “All popular PDA/PNA software that
I am aware of is capable of (and flight computers that support
airspace all) will work with pressure altitude.”

So I was seeking clarification.

I use Volkslogger and Winpilot, set up and connected by an agent/
vendor. I really don’t know the technicalities.

There was some correspondence recently on the (mainly UK)
gliderpilot.net which caused me to raise the question.

Regards – Chris.