View Single Post
Old June 26th 17, 01:49 PM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Walt, your action of going to the FAA with this, is assuming that clubs and commercial operators are not interested in fixing this. As I said in a previous post, we have addressed this on two of our three towplanes. With the recent info that has surfaced in this thread, I will bring this to our board and we will try to get our L-19 converted to tost. I am sure if you could aid in bringing that info, or collecting anything that would help for the conversion, many if not all would make the same move. We did not because (I hope) we were operating on bad information that the FAA was going to stand in our way.

Do you feel that clubs and commercial operations would need to be forced to make this change, or do you think with your help, you could assist in this change? Personally I think many would do this, we have no interest in reducing safety for our towpilots. And I expect That would be true for all. Help them make the switch, it will be more effective, and quicker than government action.

RR
RR,

Actions speak louder than words. The fact that many commercial and club operations still use a system known to fail under the most dire of circumstances speaks volumes. Is it ignorance of apathy or both? I have no way of knowing what clubs and commercial operations are willing to do or reluctant to do. What I do know is I was a second or two from crashing into the ground with a student pilot not reacting and a release system not operating under conditions which as stated above is know to fail.

I am not an A&P nor am I an engineer so I'm not sure what info you are requesting to aid in your conversion BUT if it is a reluctance on the part of your board I would suggest they read the following:

Page 9, SSF, Tow Pilot Training Course (this is printed in RED)

"If at any time the nose of the tow plane is pulled uncontrollably by the glider to an dangerously high or low pitch attitude - PULL THE RELEASE.

Depending on the installation of the tow hitch, it may be possible for the release mechanism to become jammed due to the excessively high position of the glider. (American style hook)"

In addition, Advisory Circular - Date 3/3/08, AC No 43.13-2b

"When the glider on tow operates above a certain angle to the tow plane, the ring may slide upwards on the hook causing excessive load on the hook and difficulty in releasing the tow rope ring."

So, here are two admissions/acknowledgements by the SFF and the FAA that there is a problem with this system commonly used in the USA. If you are looking for something to kick start your board I would refer them to these comments.

Good luck.

Walt