Old June 22nd 05, 04:11 PM
W P Dixon

Gig,
Well I did not mean that everytime you fly you take a passenger with you,
I just meant that you "could" while you were working on the PPL. For those
without alot of money to sink into the PPL at one time, it could be a great
option...they could fly, and though maybe not practicing the PPL flight
manuvers "all the time" they would be gaining valuable experience in the
air.
As for the cost, well I didn't say the process would be cheaper,...just
the flying as a sport pilot versus just staying in a PPL training mode. Do
alittle PPL training here and there as your money allows. May even take
longer in the long run to get the PPL, but who knows you may have 100-150
hours with the training and flying as a sport pilot.
It does stand to reason the more experience in the air you have the better
you will do on the PPL, be it practicing for the PPL checkride or just
flying SP.
The whole thing is really hard to judge as to who could save what as far
as money...we all know that the minimums for training are not the standard
times. I sure do not expect a SPL to be done in the 20 hours! Well maybe if
they are flying those "flying weedeaters" I think it is more reasonable to
think in the 30 hour range. Then you have all the "region" factors. Like the
cost in the Northeast of renting a cub for 80 plus an hour, versus most
around here that rent for 40 ! Just really hard to say exactly "how much" it
will cost everyone, just to many variables.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message

"W P Dixon" wrote in message
The one great thing about getting the sport pilot first is you would be
able to fly , carry a passenger in a light sport plane..and most
important I would think is practice for your PPL. I guess we don't know
for sure yet because no one has done it...but it makes good sense to say
that by obtaining a SPL, and flying, may actually speed up the process
for getting the PPL when you are ready for it. Extra practice sure can't
hurt, and it's alot cheaper to fly by yourself than having a CFI on
board.
There's been many a PPL trained in Cubs and Champs, get your SPL in
one and get a head start!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Again, as I mentioned in my post I have no problem with someone taking the
SP test during the PP process. but don't think for a second it is going to
save you any money.

Your thought that it will allow you to fly passengers while continueing to
train for a PP will, if done, increase the cost of the PP because the last
thing you need in the airplane while practicing for your PP is a none
pilot passenger. Flight time during the PP process should be used for
practice for the test and you shouldn't be doing those manuvers with a
victim.... I mean passenger.

GigG