Old May 23rd 15, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Buddy Bob

Default Help us with this petition for security on anti-collision systems

At 10:30 22 May 2015, wrote:
Hi,
we recently launched a petition against Flarm decision to encrypt

their
communication protocols.

Although Flarm have the majority of the market for anti-collision

systems
there are others vendors and we think that monopolies are not a

good things
in any market and more important security comes first.

For this reasons we invite you to subscribe our campaign.

https://www.change.org/p/mr-urs-roth...larm-chairman-
petition-against-flarm-decision-to-encrypt-the-communication-
protocol

Thank you so much!
Sergio

I'm afraid this is all a bit pointless, flarm is yesterday's company. If
I held them I'd be selling the stock, and if I could I'd be shorting it.
In 10 years you'll be saying flar...who? Why do I say this? Well as a
typical monopoly they have refused to innovate, and as usual this
works for a while, but the writing is now on the wall... The OGN
have published their tracker spec.. and if you look at it, it 'could' do
everything a flarm does... but at $30.. Now I know it doesn't right
now, but look through their code.. it's like 10 lines extra... and at a
size weight and power that would appeal to a whole host of other
users, paragliders, hanggliders, UAVS... a few glider pilots will be
irrelevant.... do you really think they won't?

I'd leave flarm to their own little bubble... you'll have exactly what
you want in a few years..