Old August 25th 04, 10:40 PM
Bob Kaplow

In article , Corky Scott writes:
I guess you could say: at least he called. That's true, but he should
not have even been considering firing it in such close proximaty to
the airport.

The regs are quite clear on where we can and can not fly. For the
traditional model rocket under 1 pound, we are totally exempt from FAA
regulation. Still we must fly in a manner that does not endanger aircraft.

For what is now known as a "large model rocket" (between 1 and 3.3#) we need
to NOTIFY the local airport manager of our activity. That may be what you
encountered.

Beyond 3.3# we fill out the same waiver form as used for an airshow, 45 days
in advance, etc. etc. and the FAA has the final say as to whether our
request is granted or not.

We've actually flown off assorted airports, both general aviation and
military. The first time I was involved in running one of these launches we
were just under 20 miles outside of ORD, one of the busiest hunks of
airspace in the country. They let us fly up to but not into the TCA, and
actually rerouted traffic into 9 right around us.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
To reply, remove the TRABoD!

Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org