Old July 2nd 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
xyzzy

Default First flight in our "new" Ercoupe...

On Jul 2, 11:10*am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Luckily, intergranular corrosion is fairly easy to spot, once it's
started -- so it's easy to rule out a plane that's got it. * Unfortunately,
it can be lurking inside any spar, unseen.

You mean it's fairly easy to spot once it makes it way out, right?
What I learned was that once it's spottable, it's unrepairable because
it's worked its way from the inside of the metal to the outside. This
may be different between Ercoupes and Cherokees depending on how deep
inside the metal the interface is? I'm not an expert, only speaking
from a 1 hour seminar at OSH.