Old November 28th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Get a ferry permit, or just fly it?

Same in USA. In fact that is one of the prime uses I made
of my A&P. Go get a damaged airplane and inspect and sign
off the permit.

It is a good idea to check with the insurance company to be
sure that the insurance is valid because a "ferry permit" is
a good idea.

§ 21.197 Special flight permits.
(a) A special flight permit may be issued for an aircraft
that may not currently meet applicable airworthiness
requirements but is capable of safe flight, for the
following purposes:

(1) Flying the aircraft to a base where repairs,
alterations, or maintenance are to be performed, or to a
point of storage.

(2) Delivering or exporting the aircraft.

(3) Production flight testing new production aircraft.

(4) Evacuating aircraft from areas of impending danger.

(5) Conducting customer demonstration flights in new
production aircraft that have satisfactorily completed
production flight tests.

(b) A special flight permit may also be issued to authorize
the operation of an aircraft at a weight in excess of its
maximum certificated takeoff weight for flight beyond the
normal range over water, or over land areas where adequate
landing facilities or appropriate fuel is not available. The
excess weight that may be authorized under this paragraph is
limited to the additional fuel, fuel-carrying facilities,
and navigation equipment necessary for the flight.

(c) Upon application, as prescribed in §119.51 or §91.1017
of this chapter, a special flight permit with a continuing
authorization may be issued for aircraft that may not meet
applicable airworthiness requirements but are capable of
safe flight for the purpose of flying aircraft to a base
where maintenance or alterations are to be performed. The
permit issued under this paragraph is an authorization,
including conditions and limitations for flight, which is
set forth in the certificate holder's operations
specifications. The permit issued under this paragraph may
be issued to-

(1) Certificate holders authorized to conduct operations
under Part 121 of this chapter; or

(2) Certificate holders authorized to conduct operations
under Part 135 for those aircraft they operate and maintain
under a continuous airworthiness maintenance program
prescribed by §135.411 (a)(2) or (b) of that part.

The permit issued under this paragraph is an authorization,
including any conditions and limitations for flight, which
is set forth in the certificate holder's operations
specifications.

(3) Management specification holders authorized to conduct
operations under part 91, subpart K, for those aircraft they
operate and maintain under a continuous airworthiness
maintenance program prescribed by §91.1411 of this part.

[Doc. No. 5085, 29 FR 14570, Oct. 24, 1964, as amended by
Amdt. 21-21, 33 FR 6859, May 7, 1968; Amdt. 21-51, 45 FR
60170, Sept. 11, 1980; Amdt. 21-54, 46 FR 37878, July 23,
1981; Amdt. 21-79, 66 FR 21066, Apr. 27, 2001; Amdt. 21-84,
68 FR 54559, Sept. 17, 2003; Amdt. 21-87, 71 FR 536,

Home Page Executive Branch Code of Federal Regulations
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR)
BETA TEST SITE
e-CFR Data is current as of November 23, 2006

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 21-CERTIFICATION PROCEDURES FOR PRODUCTS AND PARTS
Subpart H-Airworthiness Certificates

Browse Previous

§ 21.199 Issue of special flight permits.
(a) Except as provided in §21.197(c), an applicant for a
special flight permit must submit a statement in a form and
manner prescribed by the Administrator, indicating-

(1) The purpose of the flight.

(2) The proposed itinerary.

(3) The crew required to operate the aircraft and its
equipment, e.g., pilot, co-pilot, navigator, etc.

(4) The ways, if any, in which the aircraft does not comply
with the applicable airworthiness requirements.

(5) Any restriction the applicant considers necessary for
safe operation of the aircraft.

(6) Any other information considered necessary by the
Administrator for the purpose of prescribing operating
limitations.

(b) The Administrator may make, or require the applicant to
make appropriate inspections or tests necessary for safety.

[Doc. No. 5085, 29 FR 14570, Oct. 24, 1964, as amended by
Amdt. 21-21, 33 FR 6859, May 7, 1968; Amdt. 21-22, 33 FR
11901, Aug. 22, 1968]

wrote in message
ups.com...

| Robert M. Gary wrote:
|

| I would imagine that ferry permits were
created to protect
| people from themselves.
|
| My bet is that the permits were created as a legal
loophole so the FSDO
| couldn't strand your plane in some remote area that
wasn't capable of
| performing the required maintenance. Once the FAA uses
the
| "unairworthy" word a pilot is otherwise stuck. Those of
us who have
| done some bush flying have had situations where we've
needed to fly
| "unairworthy" planes out of remote areas. I've had
insurance companies
| pay me to fly planes that have had illegal field repairs
(although done
| by licensed IA's) that would have required major
alteration 337's to
| otherwise fly out of very remote areas (or countries),
especially when
| flight controls have been damaged and repaired.
|
| -Robert
|
| In Canada the ferry permit must be signed by a
mechanic who has
| inspected the airplane and certified it "safe and fit for
flight,"
| which means it's safe enough but not in compliance with
its type
| certificate and therefore not airworthy. In most cases
only essential