Old November 20th 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Scott Post

Default VFR position reporting

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:
I'm still not clear on the exact procedure for position reports if you
are flying VFR over long distances without flight following. To whom
do you report your position, and what information should it include?

I report our position to my wife and kids any time we're over something
cool. I'll sometimes dip a wing so they can see it. The wing dip isn't
strictly required by ATC, but it keeps the kid on the blind side of the
plane from whining so much.

You do realize that a radio isn't required for VFR flight, right? I
suppose when flying the Champ I could just yell out the window really
loud, "Hey ATC, I think I'm over Podunkville. Want me to drop down
and read the water tower to doublecheck?".

--
Scott Post