Old February 6th 04, 08:42 PM
Edward Colver

In article ,
(henell) wrote:

Bill Daniels said,

I have found no recovery problem with 8 or more turn
spins during aerobatic sequences.

In one of the many messages on Puchaczs over the last two weeks, I believe
someone said that the Puchacz was only certified by the Poles for a two
turn full spin. If I am correct, then maybe the message above shows why
this glider has acquired some of its bad reputation. Pilots should stick
to the manufacturers or flying authorities limits.

I know of one instructor who was asked to start to spin a Puchacz at 800
feet above the ground as part of his annual instructor check. There is no
room for error if you are deliberately initiating a full spin at such a
low level.

In the UK a great deal of all spin training is done in Puchaczs. At our
club we have three Puchaczs. We routinely have visitors who come to our
club and ask to do spinning because they believe that the two seaters used
in their clubs are incapable of proper spin training.

Twenty years ago I was thermalling with an instructor over a ridge. We
were approx 500 feet above the trees in a Bocian with the instructor
flying in a weak thermal. Without any warning to me, on my fifth flight
ever, the Bocian went in to a full spin. We were very close to the trees
by the time the instructor recovered.

This episode convinced me that full spin training is essential. There are
many people who have been flying low and slow trying to extend their
flight time and have suddenly found themselves in incipient or full spins.
How well they recover from these frightening episodes is entirely
dependant on how well they have been trained to recover from full spins.

In summary I believe that the Puchaczs poor reputation is not deserved. A
one or two turn spin done with plenty of height is not dangerous.